Tuesday, September 07, 2004

First Entry

Well friends have convinced me to start my own blog to do well what blogs are meant to do, talk about random things to no one in particular. It is said that everyone's life contains excitement and random occurances that are interesting to others. While I am not sure any one person's life is more interesting than another it is kinda fun to get a peek into someone elses'. So pardon any spelling entries, please feel free to comment on one and all entries, and lets get this thing started with a bang!

So today I was asked to perform that chore that every American avoids at all costs even at risk of punishment. Nay it is not taxes nor a trip to the dentist, it is that trip to the jury room. For those of you who have never had the pleasure there is only one thing you need to know, bring a book, a magazine, or a newspaper. However if you keep an open mind the look into a cross section of the very society we live in is fascinating. Being brought into a room with 50+ people and told to wait does not sound exciting, however when you think this is how we have judged our own people and what sets us apart for virtually the entire world, this becomes an unbelievable civics excercise. The case I was asked to jury for was....oops, I don't think I can talk about it. However I will say virtually everyone was trying to come up with any excuse in the book to get out of there.

Q. Have you ever commited a crime?
A. Can you define crime? I was like truent from high school 37 years ago.

Q. Have you ever had a bad experience with a uniformed police officer?
A. I took over a building to protest the Vietnam war and they kicked me out.

Lets say an adventure and as long as you have a sense of humor it is a blast. Unfortunately I was dismissed by the defense due to the fact I was a volunteer EMT and the defendent had beat up a police officer. Oh well maybe next time.

So next time you get a jury summons. Don't groan, don't complain. Step up and say, yes I want to go and serve my country and laugh like hell at my fellow citizens.

Let me know any experiences you have had with jury duty. Thanks and enjoy this first of many postings.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Congrats on getting up the nerve to serve your duty proudly. I told you it can be fun. While our legal system can tend to drone on in what may seem insurmountable backlog, it really is an incredible process. And you'll be glad you served if one day you find yourself sitting on the other side of the jury box.

1:47 PM  
Blogger MILF said...

You only wanted to go because work pays for a heck of a lot of jury duty time and your job, like all of us, sucks. Better luck next time!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Nathan Pedretti said...

Sounds like fun to me, but that's why we've been friends for so long. Did you meet any interesting people during the process? (No need respond here, but a blog entry might be good.)

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home