Sunday, December 05, 2004

Ahh, the wonders of youth!

Well I just got back from sunny Arizona for my grandmother’s 85th birthday. Except for one small thing, it rained the entire time. So much for the desert. Regardless, it was a time of celebration for long life, family, and friends. After harrowing 50 minute flights to LA and then to Arizona due to some unusually heavy turbulence, my parents and I met up with my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandmother. It was an opportunity to catch up on other relatives, what everyone has been up to, and of course a little cake, for what kind of occasion would be complete without some cake? Saturday was of course also spent with grandma in the assisted living. Now I have been there so many times, but a couple of new observations after spending a couple of hours talking to the other residents.

First, every time you meet someone new they tell you their name and then their age. I guess once you get above 90 it is a source of pride how old you are. I do give many of them credit, they look great and are still active for their age. But its also sad. So many of them spend their whole day just sitting in the lobby watching other people walk by, not talking to them besides maybe just an occasional greeting. What must it be like to look forward to each meal as the excitement of the day? Not able to read due to decreased vision, not able to get around due to arthritis and other skeletal problems, and having moved far enough from family there is few people to spend time with. It makes you much more thankful for both youth and family. So next time you need to call your grandparents, yes I know sometimes it may be a chore, but they do need us. The whole circle of life and all of that :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home