Monday, November 01, 2004

Darn you parents and your morals!!

So I received a question based on my posting yesterday concerning behavior and comfortability in clubs and bars. Personally I love going to a bar and just chilling over a few beers, or going to a loud crowded and smoky club and doing a little dancing and drinking. But what I can’t seem to do is perfect what many people ridicule me over and have perfected. It is a talent that people seem to either have or not and later in life challenging to learn. That being the ability to begin crunching (for those over the age of 30, crunching=~dancing) with random members of the opposite sex never having met before or many times without ever even seeing their face. Many times that leads to random public displays of affection which is the other appeal for going clubbing. As much as I love going to clubs with friends and enjoying their company I have yet to figure out the finer aspects of random crunching. It always seems like such a sleazy thing to do (damn you parents for the overly developed sense of propriety !). Perhaps it has less to do with morality and more to do with a sense of ego. The more someone thinks they are G-ds gift to men or women the more inclined they are to approach randoms assuming or knowing that it would be that person’s pleasure to dance with. For anyone who has seen me dance, you know I have no reason to have that sense of ego. For those of you who currently club and have previously clubbed and wish to share, please do (disclaimer: for those of you married and go simply to dance you are relieved from this burden and do not need to explain, we understand that aspect, sorry A.A.)


On a completely separate note I would like to draw attention that I believe has been overlooked in the hype of the weeks of late. Here I am in Southern Florida, and for those of you not aware of the laws and regulations of all counties and states of this blessed union let me fill you in on something I recently learned. Florida in an attempt to encourage and assist people in voting allows for early voting for up to 2 weeks prior to V-day. Personally I think this is great and should be encouraged in states all across the country. I think this would make voting more convenient and encourage more people to vote that might not be able to make it to the polls on a specific week day either do to personal issues or business conflicts. So here I am driving around a significantly less than affluent area in Hollywood FL looking for a Starbucks (yes I know I am a CA yuppie) when I drive across a curious site. Hundreds of people lining up around the block just standing around. Obviously curios of such random sight, I circle around and discover that the nondescript building that is probably ignored most days is none other than a voting location, and the line-up was our fellow Americans lining up to perform their obligation, nay their privilege of deciding who will lead them for the next four years. That right that has been secured by the blood of those from the darkest places in Harlem to the highest penthouses of LA, being executed by those who need it the most. One of the pivotal items in this election for me is not who will win (although I have Very strong feelings on not only the Presidential candidates but also on many of the amendments and props that are up around the country), but this election as a whole. With one of the highest turnouts ever expected in all demographic groups and all geographic locations can there be no better outcome from last term’s election? The inspiration and motivation to spur out citizens to speak up in dozens of languages to declare their choice. Gone is the apathy of past years, gone is the declaration of ‘who cares’, now the discussion is heard everywhere from airplanes, private parties, to even McDonalds. This is what our country is all about, so whomever you are voting for, go out there and perform one of the easiest and least stressful civic duties that we Americans have, go VOTE!

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Honestly, that whole 'crunching' thing is pretty nasty. It's fine if people go up and dance with others, but not if they just assume that it's ok to grind up against a complete stranger.

Believe me - you're much better off dancing with people, talking to them and being yourself. Those who do the nasty dance give off the distinct impression they care only about getting their freak on. Yuck. You're much more of a gentleman than those nasty egomaniacs !!!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home