Tuesday, September 20, 2005

New addition to the random ruminations

As I was reflecting on my previous entry I realize how little sometimes remember our own history and of course not remembering ones history condemns one to repeat it. So I am going to add something new to my entries here, and that is a small blurb from this day in history. I will research it to ensure accuracy but I encourage you if something is interesting also do some of your own research, knowledge is a wonderful and powerful tool.

Thus on this day in history, in 1959 in the height of the cold war the Soviet Union leader, Nikita Khrushchev, was barred from going into Disneyland. This was during a trip to have an extended summit with Eisenhower, but he added his own small agenda requesting to see a taste of Hollywood. While most of the day went well with Frank Sinatra leading him around and a quick trip to Twentieth Century Fox to watch the taping of Can-Can the movie, tempers flared as the president of Fox made some scathing remarks about communism and some earlier public comments made by Khrushchev. Later in the day he was barred by our government from visiting Disneyland saying they could not guarantee his safety with the large crowds.

Although ideology is many times cast in a negative light, that being the ideology of extremists, terrorists, dictators and madmen in general, it is also the very fuel that drives patriotism. Why else would we sign up to serve in the military if not for a bigger cause, for the thought of freedom and equality? It gains its strength by the fact that we do not question it, we believe it to our core and will fight for it. Unfortunately this leads to conflicts, major and minor depending who is involved when ideologies conflict and heated discussions erupt. Point in fact the cold war. So although ideology is critical to driving groups of people, always be cautious as to what you are following.

The date of my move is quickly approaching as I begin to call all my suppliers (gas, electricity, cable, dsl, etc) and begin the arduous task of changing my address. This is really starting to kick in that indeed I am moving, but am also getting more and more excited. I am having friends tell me about the things they did over the weekend and some of the community bars and restaurants that just sound so cool. Just need to finalize the packing, get the truck and hit the road!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home