Friday, September 16, 2005

Addictions?

I am going to take a second to get something off my mind before returning to the narrative of my usual fascinating observations. As I finally fly home I realize how much work I truly have to get done in the next couple of months. I need to apply to grad schools over the next month or so for my MBA, where I am going, well that is an excellent question. Lets see where I get in. I need to complete my CEs (continuing education) and re-test for my EMT renewal which expires like many other things at the end of the calendar year. Of course I am moving this week, which means I need to really pack this week before I fly out on Saturday night for yet another work event. All this needs to take place in the free hours when I am not stressing about the inordinately large amount of work we have gone on right now. If I wasn’t busy I would simply be bored, and we can’t have that.

In my next entry I desire to tell you about one of the speakers I saw at the convention I attended. A man who did not know excuses, but a sense of humor to rival Robin Williams. I only do not begin the description now as I have notes that happen to be checked in my bag below the plane which makes retrieval challenging to say the least.

Instead a couple of other things. As I spent a couple of my evenings in the theme park I could not help but be surprised by some observations I wanted to share here. First when people went on rides they left their strollers packed simply outside the ride, unattended and unsecured. Even more surprising was they left entire bags of the days staples without a care in the world, to take it to a whole new level, they are as safe as if they were in the theater with the parents themselves. I think what makes the theme parks so much fun is watching the interaction between people, anywhere else large crowds, 90+ degree heat and 40 percent humidity is a recipe for short tempers and selfish behavior without much need for stirring. Yet there were countless times when people gave up heavily protected spots that had to be reserved for over an hour for some live event, only to surrender it to a toddler who just arrived. Spots were given up in line, and a helping hand to their fellow guests. Even on the bus rides you saw both private cars and public busses yield to others in a display that is as foreign as a dandelion in the middle of grand central station. This of course begs the question, is happiness addictive?

It only takes one person to kill an entire mood in a large group, I believe this is called a buzz kill. I however believe that the reverse is also true, that someone’s generosity and kindness can also be addictive. Watching a single person give up a seat to another’s child is never going to be immediately rewarded and yet I sure they will do the same for some other at a later time, at least we would hope so. Clearly silliness and humor can be addicting, why else would we all think ourselves unbelievably talented comedians after any professional comedic performance. On the other hand at certain parties one person who just decides to let it all loose, can cause others to let their hair down and not as prim and proper. Although not a scientific study I believe this does imply that some of the positive traits in others can be addicting and not simply the negative or detrimental ones. I challenge each of you to try it, who knows it may pay off for you as well someday.

On a lighter note there is very few things more humorous that a small child repeating something they heard in a different context. This is of course compounded when the said child is actually from a foreign land and speaking with an accent such as those of our former parental figures, England. A child no more than 6 was traveling with her group of 6 consisting of two families. While waiting for the fireworks she grabs one of the Sprites resting on the ground and begins to take a swipe, completely forgetting her bottle is in her back pocket. Her mother stopped and corrected her. Whereas normally some smart remark is expected, instead we heard (of course you will have to imagine the British accent) “Oh terrible sorry mum, I fear it slipped my mind, cheerio” Now how could you be mad at your child when faced with that? Simply put you could not. The British were the predominate ethnic group at the parks including Americans, must be a better time of year for them to travel. Sometimes a slightly rowdy crowd, but always polite and courteous.

So a good time was clearly had at the parks in the limited time I could attend, definitely was the stress relief I was needing for quite some time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home