Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Hunt Continues

Fear not loyal readers this is not the hunt for either food or a mate (although both of those are always in a constant state of affairs), rather this is the hunt for a new domicile. A place to lay my head, along with the rest of my body, and my belongings. Yes I am looking for a new apartment in the city, and what a challenge. Drove up to the city last night from work, leaving the south bay area at a comfortable 72 degrees and just a hint of clouds on the horizon. I then entered the city that was a chilly 61 degrees and completely overcast, a little depressing when looking for housing. But I hiked up my britches, metaphorically of course, and began the quest to find the perfect place.

I found one place that was previously owned by a Scandinavian couple who really wanted to remember home. It had wood paneling on both walls and ceiling to give the appearance of a log cabin from the old country, as well as a stain glass ceiling leading to the sky light in the bathroom. The vintage pot belly stove in the living room was the only source of heat and the oven was from circa 1908 still having a place to heat up the old fashion cast iron irons. None of this was a problem, but seeing an oven to small to even fit a frozen pizza, well that would be a challenge for the bachelor cooking.

Another place was listed as a 1 bedroom but that one bedroom was actually a former closet. In fact I couldn’t find the bedroom and actually had to ask, and he pointed to this closet. He said fear not a twin mattress just perfectly fits in the walls, you just need to climb in from the head/foot of the bed. The extra bonus of course it is impossible to fall out of bed, there is walls on three sides of you. Can we say coffin?

Another place that I looked at previously had a tilt of literally 10+ degrees, you found yourself standing at a weird angle the entire time. Could you imagine the hell you would have trying to hang up pictures when your entire life was living at an angle. Sounds like something out of “Being John Malkovich”. Another place had this industrial sink in the bathroom but absolutely no table top space. I was curious as to where you would put a drain board. The manager opened the one and only cabinet by the sink which was just below the window. Instead of a rear wall behind the cabinet it was actually a vent and the shelves were metal grids. An interesting concept except being directly on Market street (one of the busiest streets in San Fran) I am not sure I want a fine layer of smog and grime on all my dishes.

So as you can tell the search continues. I do have to pick a place tonight as I fly out tomorrow for another work event and by the time I get back I really have to start the move. So wish me luck as I trot my way around the city on a quest to find the perfect apartment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Horror Chronicles Commencing
Horror Chronicles Commencing Odd Lot Entertainment has launched a genre arm, Dark Lot Entertainment, and announced its first project, a three-picture anthology dubbed The Horror Chronicles, Variety reported.
love is in the air find some air stuff here Photographie

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home