Thursday, August 25, 2005

Bitch?

Fear not this is not an entry of gripes, but rather of a humorous occurrence that involved a lost in translation. I was sitting in a meeting with a small intimate crowd of only three others, after discussing work, the conversation drifted to personal interest. As we did not know each other well conversation moved into inquiries of the children status of each person. Now we are an international company which has to accommodate people from all different countries and dialects. So as one the young women from London spoke of her children she also mentioned she had a bitch that just had 8 puppies. Looking at me I successfully was able to keep a straight face while two others just broke out in mirth and laughter.

Webster defines bitch to be “a female canine animal, especially a dog” which in this case was dead on. But clearly most Americans tend to not use this term in an endearing sense. This was the highlight of my day.

So after thinking about something for quite sometime I have come to the decision that I am going to after four long years move, not too far, I am going to move into what is argued one of the most fun cities in the country. This is clearly not San Jose, rather San Francisco. I have been living in the suburbs for 4 years and do not often go into the city because it is a schlep especially when coming home late at night (or early in the morning). Thus I have already begun searching for apartments in the city. Yes I know my commute is going to be longer, but I think the hopeful social life or at least cultural life will be well worth it. So back to the fun of searching for apartments, hopefully start this weekend. Stay tuned for updates.

Oh and as an after thought, I never did inform my readers as promised as to what I ended up giving to my father for his birthday, it was an espresso / cappuccino machine. I was pleased to see it is so complicated to operate it actually came with a video for instructions. Should provide hours and hours of childhood amusement for him. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home