Sunday, August 21, 2005

Let me tell you about


Let me tell you about a boy, a boy with a spirit that would not quit. A boy who was a motivation to many and an inspiration to all. Oh you think I say this only because I am biased. In February, on the 14th to be exact, Ben asked for the first time for his parents to both leave his room. This was very unusual and they were unsure how to take it, but they left the room. When they returned he had made valentine’s day cards for both of them, this was in the middle of a most egregiously painful chemo session. I don’t know many seven year olds that think of giving their parents a gift when they are in the hospital, to Ben that was all he thought about.

Another time one of the residents came on the ward to check on the patients on a Saturday. These residents come and go like the changing of the tides, only the kids stay there. Well he prescribed something for Ben, yet Ben not missing a beat from the Star Wars game he is playing on the Playstation says that he can’t have that drug. The doctor in only a slightly hidden condescending voice tells what he assumed was just another seven year old that these medicines will help him. Ben responds that this one wouldn’t, it doesn’t go with another one he is on and lists the medicines for the doctor, all without taking his eyes of the tv. The doctor checks the chart, and only slightly abashed makes the changes and beats a hasty retreat, don’t underestimate these kids.

These are the memories that keep me up at night. When he took his last breath at 9:40pm on Saturday night that moment was greeted by fireworks from a celebration down the street. Or was it fireworks welcoming him to a better place? A place where there is no suffering, there is no pain. Walking through the hallways on 2N at Stanford Hospital makes me realize how lucky I am, in my opinion way too lucky. There are parents there that have slept in hospital beds with their children for 2-3 sometimes 4 years, and yet they are some of the kindest people I have ever met. How they stay so optimistic with such strength I don’t know, but they are my heroes. Them and their children, who continue to fight and yet help each other as friends. They are my heroes. May God watch over all of those who feel the pain that is so undeserving, and end the suffering of all.

Amen

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matthew, my heart goes out to you and to Ben's family. I agree with Ben's father, John, who said you were the best elixir ever. Ben was lucky to have you in his life and you were even luckier to have had Ben in your life. Paths cross and everything happens for a reason. Your life is richer for having known such a person. I watched this journey and everyone on it and it's been amazing in so many ways. Be strong, like Ben was and savor all he taught you and others.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home