Sunday, March 26, 2006

Just another day in the city

First a tribute to a good friend who solved a problem for me that was plaguing me for weeks. Plaguing is an accurate word, for I could not walk without pain shooting in and around my knee for a number of weeks. It was getting worse with each passing week and I was powerless to stop it. I tried heating pads, ice packs, even a knee brace but everyday when I got up and went to work the pain was worse than the day before. Hoping it was possibly just a sprain I refrained from cardio gym activity which in and of itself was frustrating. Finally in casual conversation I talked to L, a volunteer firefighter, a wealth of medical knowledge and an overall great guy. He mentioned it could be everything from a sprain in the ligaments of the foot (which would affect the knee, go figure) or possibly old shoes. Old shoes? You have got to be kidding. Well apparently I have been wearing the same two pairs of shoes (casual and business) for over 9 months and have created a very particular wear pattern. On further investigation the heel of both sets of shoes is significantly worn down, most pronounced on the right foot which just so happens to be the side with the knee pain. A son of a scientist I had to put the theory to test. I grabbed my newest running shoes and wore them for the day, viola no pain. Taking it a step further I went out and bought a new pair of business shoes, which I wore for another day, and viola no pain. Unbelievable, something as seemingly trivial as a worn down heal can actually lead to pronounced knee pain behind the patella. Live another day, learn another tidbit.

But onto a great day. Today I decided to rediscover city relaxation in the urban recreational areas. In plain speak, I decided to find a park and chill. I walked up to golden gate park, which due to a great friend last week I have discovered is a mere 23 minute walk from my front door. Found a good piece of grass, and promptly relaxed for the better part of four hours chatting with friends on the phone, reading a sumptuous book, and watching the world go by while listening to tunes on my ipod. Can you think of a better way to spend a perfect San Francisco day? I watched an affluent family taking their kids for a walk, well I guess the better term would be ride for as in other parts of the country kids ride the stylish razor scooters, these privileged youths rode matching Segways. There was the pickup game of ultimate Frisbee played between groups of Japanese tourists vying for a place in line to see the Flower Conservatory, oldest arboretum in the United States built in 1908. There were the jocks, the Goth, the domestically challenged (homeless), the hippies, the yuppies, the religious, the tourists, and the dogs all mixed into one park for a glorious day without rain. Have I mentioned I love this city?

But onto a new topic, if you who are reading this happen to have cable television, check out the show The Real Orange County Housewives. A show of 5 women who, if we call them privileged we would be undercutting their status, living in houses worth millions wearing clothes worth what many of us make in a month. They face the same problems normal people do, over controlling husbands, rebellious youths, unrealized dreams, and frankly too many cars to choose from. Ok maybe not all the same problems we face, but close. Watch the show and wonder what would happen if you were in their situation. If you had the means, would you buy your kids a car? Would it be a new or used, or Mercedes or Honda? Before you answer this with derision or scorn in your voice, isn’t it the goal of most parents to be able to afford to give their kids things they dream of, maybe not everything but many things. If your means were higher might that include a car? The line of where providing for ones family and spoiling can be a fuzzy one, interesting to see where each of these families drew that line. Check it out, if you get past the TV glitz and drama, you see an interesting view point on raising privileged youths (keeping in mind one of the wives at 24 is barely out of youth herself).

Tomorrow I fly to St. Louis, and then to NY, back on Wednesday night. Good first half of the week to all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's amazing what new gym shoes can do. Same thing happened to me and also the socks are important (believe it or not). Happy Safe travels... florence

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home