Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Crazy drivers

Although slightly tardy some reflections from last week’s trip to Florida. First the benefits of spending way too much time traveling became quite apparent upon checking into my hotel. I was staying at a brand new doubletree located directly on the beach, so new in fact you could still smell the sawdust in the humid Florida air. They had decided to upgrade me due to my diamond status into their presidential suite; clearly I was the best option they had. Now I tend to not get too excited during these upgrades as I have seen gold gilded toilets in my suite in the Belagio, talking toilets in Japan, mirrors on the ceiling in the MGM Grand and stereo systems to rival small theaters in New York. Yet this room had the elegance and simplicity that caused even I to pause. Living room had floor to ceiling mirrors along the entire main wall followed by a full patio traversing the entire length of the suite from living room and bedroom all of course overlooking the beach and ocean. Soft lighting and hot tub in the bathroom of course topped it off. Such luxury, such extravagance, such no one to share it with when traveling by myself. Really need to find someone who wants to stay in luxury hotels in cities around the world, applicants apply within.

But Florida is as always an interesting paradox of a town. On one hand you have the seniors who have not been able to see over their steering wheel since 1976 and insist on driving in the left lane at 54.5 miles per hour, and on the other hand crazy teenagers who insist on weaving through traffic with millimeters to spare while blasting Latin music. Any time I have complained about drivers here in CA, ignore it, at least I can predict their behavior. In CA we know they are going to cut over four lanes and can plan on it, in Florida you see everything from someone stopping in the middle lane as they try to decide if they want to exit (honest to goodness true story). So remarkably enough I have given up complaining of CA drivers and will instead criticize Floridians.

The trip went well and I spoke over steak lunch to 35 industry CIOs. Let me tell you the conversation was riveting and witty. Coming home was certainly a relief after hitting both coasts and of course a bit of partying on my birthday.

Back here in CA I spent my Saturday in a way that no bachelor ever wants to admit, yes that would be cleaning. I spent a good four hours hand scrubbing the apartment that was long overdue for some TLC. Alas four hours later it smells and looks just like before I started with just a bit less dust and grime but still just as much ‘stuff’. What can I say as I guy I am a collector. Sunday was much more fun with a trip to the beach with a friend which would be the first for the year. I must remember to do more of that in the months ahead, who knows how long I will be living just a few minutes from one of the best (yet coldest) beaches in the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home