Monday, November 28, 2005

Another day, another crazy wild city

Today on our installment of where in the world is Matthew, I have landed in Amsterdam home of diamonds, chocolate and some other sweet delicacies. The flight over was unremarkable save a portly fellow who was my cabin mate (a.k.a sitting next to me) for the short seven and a half hour flight. Lest you think I have something against portly gentleman quite the contrary, he was a cheerful individual who quickly went to the sleep directly following the dinner service. What I make notice of is the repeated samples of internal air he decided to share with the rest of the cabin and myself especially. Now I don’t know if his poison was Indian, Mexican, Tai or just plain beans but they came out rancid with a capital R. Even the two sitting behind me could be heard gasping at the occasional extreme noxious fumes. Arriving in Amsterdam never had fresh air smelling so good.

Speaking of the air winter out here can be a cold and forbidden area. With fog so thick the visibility is measured in single digit feet and even the taxi drivers have difficulty navigating some of the roads. But alive and in one piece I made it. Now the goal is to stay awake as long as possible to acclimate oneself as rapidly as possible. What better way then to walk around the city in the bitter cold?

My first observation is that the woman of this fine city are unbelievably stunning. Now for those of you who have been to Amsterdam or have heard the stories I am not referring to the woman who adorn windows in a specific street, rather I am talking of the everyday woman walking or much more commonly biking down the street. Does it have to do with a girl in a mini-skirt with knee high boots bicycling down the street while text messaging on the phone? Or maybe it is their wonderful facial complexion and deep blue eyes, with rosy cheeks (mostly due to the cold)? Either way they are stunning to view if for the first time or the hundredth time.

At this point I fear I need to take a hour nap for fear of utterly crashing in a couple of hours. More on the women in the windows when we return.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

As long as the women don't have the same noxious gas, I think you'll be fine. :)

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you meet someone sweet!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home