Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mickey wishes and medical needs

Arriving a day early for work event I spent the day with relatives in the happiest place on Earth. Now while I think that the title might be stretching it just a bit it is certainly quite a bit better than my trips to Vegas. Being Mother’s Day and all everything seemed a little bit more fun for the whole family. Mothers were given carnations upon entering, maybe a little fortitude for having the incredibly stressful job of keeping the children in-line all day in the heat, not to mention the daily job of raising kids. Thankfully lines were not terribly long and thus my aunt, cousin, cousin’s son, and I got to jump on a number of rides amidst the heat and humidity of an early summer Florida day. As always Disney provides an insight into parenting which far exceeds that of any parenting class. You see the parents that let their kids just run wild to the ones that discipline their kids to the nth degree including public spanking and swearing. One wonders how our society has sunk so far at times, and then taking a look it all seems to come together.

The adventure begins to heat up (no pun intended) when we went off site for a little dinner. Our meal comes and we are just about halfway when at the next table over we hear a call for someone to call 911. My aunt quickly says, my nephew he is a medic he can help. Going over to lend a hand, this gentleman has now lost consciousness and his eating companions are quickly losing their calm and panicking. The hostess comes over and tries to take over as a first responder, I let her know my training and she quickly leaves to ensure 911 is on their way. The patient regains consciousness long enough to give me some information before having another episode. Long story short ambulance comes to take him away, ironically he has had this type of episode of passing out before but decided not to go to hospital or doctor which makes this injury due to stupidity. The hostess ends up thanking me and wanting to know if I am local to the Orlando area. When I tell her San Francisco she looks a little disappointed, unfortunately as they say GU (geographically undesirable). One of these days we will all meet the person of our dreams locally right? Either way it certainly led to an interesting conclusion to the day.

At this point I think it is certainly time to get some rest, I am sure much more on this trip to follow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grasshopper- Are you randomly pushing people over the edge or does you EMT Muse have a sense of humor.....good work...

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that I, as your aunt, was there to enjoy Mother's Day with you and then prod you into service as an EMT. You probably saved that guy's life, since he was to "stupid" to take care of it himself. You are my hero and it was impressive to watch you in action. And Ms. Right will come along when the time is right. Hopefully, in the same location as you are! Love ya always. Lesley

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home