Sunday, September 12, 2004

Anything but a usual Sunday

We have all seen situational irony in movies, but it is rare to see an example of one in life and be able to place it enough to identify it. Well that very thing happened today and I do so hope you enjoy reading of it as much as I did living it.

Many of you know that the Jewish high holidays are at the latter part of this week. My plan as of waking up this morning was to attend at my favorite local university’s Hillel by myself. Planning ahead having ordered tickets and was all set to go, is my life orderly and comfortable or what? I received a call from my mother at her usual early morning time (if she has to be up to work, well shouldn’t I be as well, as her logic stands) :-). Would I like if my parents come up and spend the holidays with me? Hmmm, of course I would.

Meanwhile I am already thinking, ok I need to clean my apartment, if they are going to stay with me I need to get guest towels (yeah look at the bachelor, only one guest towel), a pillow for me to use when sleeping on the couch. No problem I can do this. No sooner am I done with Bed Bath and Beyond (as a newbie, I find I don’t know half of the items in the there and what they are for, come on mom, didn’t you teach me anything), when I get another call from my mother, is it ok if the grandparents come as well? Hmmmm, of course it would be wonderful.

Now a new list, ok reservations at a hotel (my apartment is roomy, but not that roomy), a rental car (a 2-door is just not appropriate for 5), and some extra food. Not two hours later get another call, is it ok if everyone comes in early on Wednesday (holiday doesn’t begin until Thursday). Ummm, sure, I can work from home and pick them up from the airport. Furiously I am checking my calendar for what meetings I will have to reschedule or try to call into. Yeah…I can do this, no problem. But wait another call an hour later, another change of plans. Grandfather can’t come since he needs to be in court (lawyer not defendant) on Friday. (sigh) ok still need hotel, but not need rental car. Finally I plead to my mother, just make all the plans and just call me with final confirmation. I mean I am flexible but now I am doing full-on splits in my living room.

So after numerous phone calls I just have to look back and laugh. Is it irony? Well probably not completely, but you do have to admit it to be humorous. No one can accuse my life of being boring. So the final result I will have my parents and grandparents for the Jewish new year, I am stoked.

To all those Stanford students, welcome back to another school year. Chris, good luck on the resignation, it is scary to end a part of your life but you will find something better and will be happier. Everyone else, enjoy another week of work.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nathan Pedretti said...

It's awesome your family is coming out to see you. Say hello to the whole crew for Jane and I. So what are you cooking, Matthew?

10:44 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Matthew, thanks for your support. It is scary to end a part of one's life with an unknown plan for the future. Today was the day, I gave my notice today, with the anticipation of working through the end of next week. After that, who knows...If you want to read more, check out http://chrisfridd.blogspot.com

4:18 PM  
Blogger MILF said...

I am glad to hear that your family is coming out to you. You have such typical female (or is that a Jewish thing too?) neurosis about the whole event though.
Having suffered through many a family member stopping by while in town I can tell you this: just enjoy them. Nothing will go perfectly, and all of you will remember what went wrong (and hopefully laugh about it for years to come). Just make sure that you offer up the bed to Mom - which I know you will! (You are the Good Son - okay the only son!)
Take 'em to that Chinese place by your home... :-)

11:24 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I can't believe I was just called female, well ok maybe sometimes I do go off like one, but is that a zing at me or the female gender (take that one MILF). Yes very excited about family coming in. It has changed again. Hotel is now cancelled, two parents and grandparent staying with me. Ah hour later now grandfather is coming but not until tomorrow, so hotel is back on again. Stay tuned for the next episode of Days of Our Lives, Holiday edition.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home