Monday, October 10, 2005

Meat Market, the other side

Before I go into a tirade of some craziness I am getting used to here in the city that has nothing but surprises, I should make a blanket apology to all members of the fairer sex. Yes that would be to you ladies out there, I am sorry if I ever personally spent just a moment too long maybe checking out your legs, or your chest or some other aspect of your body. I think I have begun to get a small glimpse of what you go through.

Walking down the street to simply go to the supermarket I pass 2 self-service laundry stations, two bars, a gas station, a salon and a sushi restaurant. Outside of most of these establishments there are usually a number of people hanging out socializing, reading a book or just watching the world go by. Any girls in this area tend to simply look up, possibly make eye-contact and go back to what they were doing. The men however will look up and start with your face and move all the way down to your feet and then back up again. Once you pass them if you look back oh they are so checking out your butt. Now granted I can understand that in my case, I have a fine looking rear end, but every time I have to wonder if I sat in something or is there something they are staring at. Occasionally I will get a smile (tends to only be with the guys) and on a good day I will even get a ‘hey, how you doing’. Granted this is slightly flattering but definitely a bit unsettling. Coming back from a red cross event I had my uniform on, boots, BDU pants, uniform shirt, utility belt and all and I was fairly mobbed. Who would have guessed that what works on woman also works on men. Now if only I was attracted to that gender I would be all set. But it has been a learning experience walking down the street and having many eyes on you.

To answer a question from my previous entry the cost of the haircut was $25, certainly not unreasonable, but still a bit higher than usual. Must be all that shampoo and conditioner.

Tomorrow I leave on two weeks worth of business travel leading me to Raleigh, Baltimore, and Orlando. Hopefully there will be some good movies on the plane because unfortunately I am actually caught up on my emails and a couple of my large projects. This is a great feeling, but definitely a little bit unusual for me, don’t get me wrong I am not complaining at all!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caught up on your emails??? ahemm. I believe I sent one about a week ago, Maura

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home