Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Another day, another dollar

So said a very smart man. As the old year winds down, and for many of us work is exceedingly slow (how many people are even showing up to where you work!), we get time to catch up on cleaning our offices, washing the dog or basic reflection. I will do my own reflection later in the week as we get closer to New Years, but as I walk around work and chat with co-workers it is a little sad leaving a group that I have worked so closely with for 4 years. Sure that may not sound like 20 years to many of you old school employees, but I have traveled literally tens of thousands of miles with these friends, drinking in some of the best clubs and bars around the world (and some of the not-so nice establishments as well). These are the same co-workers whom I have stayed up all night preparing for a major launch. So although I am exceedingly excited about moving on, there is going to be that lingering remorse of lost friends.

Speaking of somber moments for a minute, I would like to take a second and acknowledge the loss from Southeast Asia. As if an earthquake, one of the largest in over 50 years, wasn’t enough, a tsunami to take away any infrastructure that was left along the coast line. No warning, no chance to save civilians. For all those families around the world waiting for a call, an email, or a telegram with news of loved ones or friends, we all wait with you, and pray with you!


Onto more cheerful topics, for it is too early in the day to be completely morose. I am studying for GMATs this past week (yes mom and dad, not as much as I should, Shesh!), and man I don’t see how remembering how to do solution and dilution chemistry problems will make me a more effective leader or manager. I mean this test is specifically designed to show future ability of Business Leaders. How does knowing that if a train leaves Chicago at 7:00 moving 40mph and one left LA at 9:00 traveling at 60mph, what time is lunch? I have seen people here at work who got Harvard (a hush and a bow of silence at the mere mention of the name) MBA and he is one of the Worst leaders and managers I have ever seen. (considering almost 8 people have quit on him in the past 6 months should probably tell you something). I am sure he did quite well on the train problem though. So once again we have to play the game, but I hereby lodge my protest (like that will mean anything). All of you studying along side me, let us raise our glasses this New Years to the stupidity and hopefully the abolishment of all standardized testing!

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Standardized testing serves two very important purposes:

1. To piss you off.
2. To show you that there will always be bullshit no matter where you go, and you will just have to learn to deal with it without putting yourself in an early grave.
3. To find out if you know how to think.


To the first point, it is essential of anyone in business to have a thick skin. If you don't have tolerance for situations and people who exist solely for the purpose of pissing you off, you won't last long in the business world. Thick skin desensitization is a must.

To the second point, bullshit is a ubiquitous (and sometimes necessary) force that permeates through every facet of daily life. Dealing with it, and not letting it result in complete baldness, is a great asset to have.

And finally, these questions are really designed to figure out if you know how to think and solve problems. Do you know the base principles of scientific method and logic pathways to reach a solution ? You may not be able to verbalize them, but if you can solve a problem in an efficient way, you know them intrinsically.

Study hard, and best of luck. I know for sure you will KICK SOME ASS !!!!! Everyone please send smart vibes Matthew's way on the 4th. :)

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home