Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Lust versus Love?

This is going to be a slightly odd entry and so let me start by clarifying a couple of things. First I promise that I am like most normal red-blooded male men who enjoys physical intimacy (a.k.a. sex) and am really not as weird or strange as I am sure this entry will make me sound, so put up with some random thoughts and attribute them to the abundance of cold medication coursing through my veins. With that….

So I got hit up on-line today from an acquaintance of mine I haven’t seen in quite some time and as we were catching up, she told me that she had a problem. That problem was well, she was horny (her words not mine, and of course she never minces words). Now lets clarify, this is someone who is an acquaintance not a friend, meaning this would be the kind of person I would chat with every once in a while, but nothing more than that. Maybe coffee occasionally, dinner or a movie would be a stretch. She wanted to know if she could come over tonight and well rectify that problem. Hmmmm…

My first reaction, and that probably of most men, was ‘how fast can you come over?’. Come on, most of us from the time we hit around 13 or 14 spend a majority of our lives trying to figure out how we can get in bed with the fairer sex, when its offered out of the blue its kind of like Christmas (which for a Jewish person is really saying something). But then of course as the conversation continues, and blood starts flowing back to key areas of the body, thoughts start to hit. Do I really want to do this?

Now before you all think I am some kind of prude, in college or soon after I, like many of my friends, have done activities that well really should be left unmentioned (can we say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas). And by the way all these mentioned activities are legal of course. But anyway back to the point of this story, so I keep thinking about this. And what has struck me before that although sex is fun, exciting, and sometimes great exercise, its really not as much fun if it’s not with someone you really know. There are those things that you just kind of laugh at with a close partner, those things that you can just read in someone. You don’t get that with a casual acquaintance and especially not with a stranger, doesn’t that hold less of an appeal. Come on do you ever look in the mirror the next day and say those immortal words, ‘what did I just do?’ No it isn’t always love (what is love? That is a whole different conversation) but its definitely something more than Hi, lets have coffee and then back to your place.

Well if you couldn’t tell I am home alone tonight, and will continue to be for the evening, and have absolutely no regrets. So why no regrets? Is it just that I don’t want to look at myself the next morning in the mirror? Is it I like someone else and I wouldn’t want to ruin that? Or is just that I am still sick and can’t think about any physical activity right now without getting tired?

But the real question that came out of this whole thing, is this what you would call maturity? SCARY!