Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Sexless in the City

After a great trip out here, I successfully landed in NY, why was the trip so wonderful. Well yes I know it is no fun traveling on Valentine’s Day but United Airlines made it quite pleasant. They have this new premier service that goes from San Francisco to JFK and they really know how to treat you. Of course I didn’t sit in the back so I might have been a little jaded, however they gave each of us a private DVD player with a choice of a dozen movies. A good meal, and nice leather chair, and a comfy pillow. Oh and don’t forget they gave each of us Valentine’s Day gift complete with a large box of chocolate, a book, a DVD on workouts in a hotel room, and a whole slew of coupons for local stores. Well I don’t know about you, but I feel loved when an airline gives me a Single’s Appreciation Day gift.

So anyway I am here in the city that never sleeps, and I would like to tell you conclusively that yes people do sleep in this city. There was some snow on the ground, a steady stream of raining was dampening everyone’s mood and a cold that somehow got under your coat. But yet it was NY. In the taxi on some highway (yes I know I just insulted every true New Yorker by not knowing the perfect route from JFK to Times Square, but with that being said) there was a digital sign that had spent the day scrolling Valentine’s Day messages for people. Such as Pete loves Sue, or Jane adores Ken, now what says love more than that. Of course that does beg the question of what are the chances the right person will be driving at 65mph past the sign just as their name came up, but the thought is there.

So today there is no rain and it is a great NY day. I took a quick walk before starting the workday and can say the city still has the unique smell and sounds of NY. The street venders selling meat on a stick, the I heart NY t-shirts, the horns of the cabbies as everyone jay walks directly in front of them, and finally the constant sirens from police cars going to and fro. The ever pervading noise can rattle the brain and shake the nerves, isn’t it great? A dozen languages were spoken before I reached the end of the block. At the intersection I could physically see three separate Starbucks and two McDonalds, now I don’t know what screams America more than that. A quick trip to a corner deli helped complete the experience. Too bad I have to fly out tomorrow morning to the windy city, but I plan on making the most of this city. I will post a couple of pictures from the hotel room later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home