Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Windy City and Speechless

So I land here in the wonderful windy city and although thankfully not windy, it is rather brisk. How brisk one might ask, well I am glad you did. It is snowing out here. Now keep in mind I have not seen snow in well suffice to say in quite some time.

Now I will be posting pictures in a few minutes of my hotel room. When you travel with me, you travel in style. The Hilton here in Chicago is directly adjoining Colombia College which is located directly on Lake Michigan. After a great workout in the gym here I decided to venture out into arctic in search of a small morsel of food. I found a college dinner filled with the local students. As I walk around one thought kept pervading into my mind. They all look so young! And then I realized, I am just getting so old! A rather humbling thought if I might say so.

Now before I launch into the next story of my ever exciting life I would like to say in my own defense I only got three hours of sleep last night and am not thinking terribly clearly. With that said, I was waiting for my food, but seeking a straw for my drink. The counter was located roughly shoulder to neck height (on me) with a sign saying straws with an arrow pointing down. There was a plain black box resting on the counter top. What would you do? Well I reached into it, seeking some type of plastic tubing to utilize the process of moving soda from the container to my mouth.

Alas the box was empty. To my chagrin a young lady looks at me and says ‘that is my box.’ She has a smirk on her face and continues with ‘Did you just put your hand in my box? You did, and I don’t even know you.’ Now between dumbfound and speechlessness I must have looked like a complete putz. Yes ladies and gentleman once again I, Matthew, was without a cleaver or even not cleaver retort. I could only stumble out, ‘Well that is not something I have heard for quite some time.’ I got a look of pity and she walked away to her boyfriend at the adjoining table. I think I need to brush up on my social skills.

One final observation, everyone smokes out here. I mean outside every building, inside many of them, everyone is lighting up. I forget how lucky I am in CA where no one smokes. People, stop, it is not good for you, plus it makes you unkissable for non-smokers.

Just random observations from a random guy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nathan Pedretti said...

Actually, not everyone smokes in Chicago, however, Columbia college is the popular art school in Chicago. All of those young, tattooed and pierced artists always have to hang outside and smoke along michigan. Funny that the stereotype seems almost created for that particular college community. It also sounds like you hit the Artists Diner, home to one of the best reubens in Chicago. Glad you got to check out a bit of downtown.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not old enough to start thinking everyone else looks younger. Don't go there. There will be plenty of time for that. And your social skills are fine. She's the one that was weird.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home