Thursday, May 26, 2005

Yap Yap Yap

Some people ask why I don’t call them as often as they feel I could or should. There is the old joke of the Jewish mother who tells her son that she hasn’t eaten in 45 days. He asks why on earth would she not eat for 45 days. She answers she wouldn’t want to be eating when he called. (insert laughter here)

Well I like to think I am not horrible returning phone calls but maybe I am. This is what I thought yesterday, and then I get my cell phone bill today. Last month I spent 1146 minutes on my phone (that is 19.1 hours) and sent 192 text messages. That is a huge block of time on my mobile phone considering during business hours I am using my desk phone. So for anyone out there that feels I have not spent enough time with you on the phone, I sincerely apologize, but I got to tell you I feel like this thing is growing out of my ear! :-)

So I had another thought last night, it was a busy night for thinking, and that concerned dating. The more I think about it, dating, at least first dates, is like being in sales. You are trying to sell yourself to the person you are have coffee/meal/or dancing with. Would you disagree? You have of course the first impression where you spend at least between a couple of minutes to a couple of hours at the extreme planning what you will wear. Then you spent the next hour trying to demonstrate your personality more than just saying oh yeah I am fun, and caring, and kind, and generous. Sound more like a Boy Scout than a real person. In fact some of the best salesman are the best daters. Just something to think about here.a

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Phone calls - well, the telephone goes both ways. If some people think that they are not talking to you as much as they would like, they can pick up the phone as well. :)

Of course you're a salesman when you're dating. You show up clean, smelling nice, dressed well, ready to put your best foot forward. Showing up unshowered and flatulent is really not the best chance at a second date. :)

The best salesmen are those that can tell the other person what that person WANTS to hear. Whether or not they are sincere is an entirely different story. A good -dater- does not necessarily make a good -partner-. Chew on that for a while. :)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

How many of those minutes were spent picking up voicemail??? Because they sure weren't spent talking to me.

Apparently Andrea doesn't know you too well, thinking you show up clean, smelling nice and well dressed. Ha Ha!!

And if it takes you several hours to figure out what to wear on a first date, you have serious issues, and maybe it isn't a date you need, rather a good therapist, or a personal stylist. Either might be able to help with that problem.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Nathan Pedretti said...

Oh, boy! Dating is nothing like sales, unless you are selling for obsolescence.

Dating is keeping your eyes out for someone or something that attracts you. Hopefully that person is being true to themselves and the picture they project is honest.

On your end, you need to do everything you can do to be a true version of yourself. You don't want to be overly showy, or unlike how you really are.

Matthew, you'll open doors for people, but that's not for show. It's because you feel that's polite. Don't do anything on a date, you wouldn't do in your ordinary life.

Dating IS NOT sales.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home