Sunday, May 22, 2005

Flexibility

No this will not be about some sordid details of a sexual encounter; this is on a different manner of flexibility. Now I have talked before about my personality trait as a planner, someone who likes to know what lies ahead and able to coordinate. As of right now I was supposed to be flying to Chicago for a business trip, along with that share some time with my good friend from high school and even visit a school I am pondering attending for a master’s. Alas certain nameless director at my company who was more concerned with her own project than the people involved escalated the fact I would not be able to attend a two day workshop for her to my director. My priorities got reprioritized and thus I am home on this certain Sunday night. The interesting thing except for an initial disappointment I am good with this. Things come up all the time and we need to be flexible to those changes. I know a few close friends who have the flexibility of an iron bar. I think this is a class that should be taught in every school.

Last Friday I went to an Air Rescue Symposium for the main reason of obtaining CE (continuing education) credits needed for the recertification of my EMT license. In this seminar we were privileged enough to see the presentations of multiple surgeons and chiefs from Stanford Medical. Our last speaker was the Chief of Forensic Pathology, a kindly old gentleman with a slapstick sense of humor that belied his career. As the lights are dimmed and he flips through the slides of steadily increasingly gruesome scenes, scaffolding protruding from the eye, an open cranium showing the crushing from a sledgehammer, and even the wonders of a severely decomposed body. Yet for each slide there is some ‘oh dad’ joke that accompanies either the deceased or the method involved. None of this was out of disrespect, rather as a requirement to maintain a sense of center to allow for the continuation of work. I am reading a book called Stiff (thank you Katie for the recommendation) which explores the multiple ways a body is utilized post death. It is an eye opening experience (excuse the pun) and puts many things in perspective. Although initially the concept of a body farm to study body decomposition may be unpleasant especially when thinking either of our body or one of our family, but lets think about that in more detail. Once we are dead, it is just a body, a system of tubes and electrical cables. We leave no more legacy than what we have already accomplished and can help no more than however we might have through prior intellect, finances or labor. Yet if that same body could be used to help a single other life then would it not be worth it. By that same token should we have a say in what type of research our body is used for. Most would not argue against being used to help make a safer car to guard against side collisions or to actually transplant our organs to a needy child, but would we want our body to be used to prove that crucifixion is real? Or how about to test the effect of decomposition for months outside in the elements? Why not? This subject is riddled by opinions from religious leaders to philosophers, and I have my own belief it is neither sophisticated nor earth shattering.

I am dead, not like I am going to feel any pain, so why not. If as some religious leaders believe that I would not be allowed into heaven if my body is ‘violated’ post death, then what kind of G-d is it that would ignore a final altruistic act of a person. Would this be the G-d I want to believe in? So I have to pass on the religious excuse, what about the philosophical belief that my soul stays in my organs and would continue to feel emotions post death. While an interesting idea, would I feel any better buried in the ground slowly having larvae eat through my organs? I think not. If this entire entry has not revolted you, I highly encourage you run to the local library or book store and pick up Stiff by Mary Roach who has a wonderful sense of humor with some excellent research and history.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I had heard of Stiff, but certainly didn't run out to read it. But now, after reading your detailed description, I know I can pass.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home