Thursday, June 30, 2005

Slightly Lighter Topic

For the first time in a number of weeks I returned home not for mere hours, rather for an entire week before going back on the road. This is of course a matter of some delight as I can actually sleep in my own bed (you have no idea how nice this is) as well as going to my own gym and not going to restaurants (which I am sure I will still do due to my reluctance to cook). However getting home to this luxury and state of bliss was no easy task. Keep in mind that Texas in general and some major cities like Dallas tends to have a slightly different way of looking at life as compared to the rest of the country in general. If a task can take one hour to get completed in CA, it would be better served by spending 3 hours in Texas. This is how they drive, act and eat.

Driving was just awesome. Here is a location where they are not limited on space and have thus built consistently minimum of 5 lane highways not including the carpool lane. Although people drive slowly they leave huge gaps between cars allowing speedsters like me to just fly up the highway even in the roughest of their traffic. Fear not I waved every time I changed lanes.

Airport was a mob house. Hoped to get on an early plane that did not exist (oops on my side) so had a good 4 hours to kill inside the stunning vista of architecture called DFW. Several thousand troops were on their way over to Iraq in full camouflage. Ended up eating dinner with one (he needed on last fix of McDonalds, I just needed food). In his opinion we are doing good things over there, he tells of stories of them providing massive amounts of free healthcare to locals there as well as food and helping rebuild housing. Majority of the non-extremists that he meets is actually very much looking forward to being able to safely vote for their leaders and indeed their future. With 4 months to go in his tour, Steve stay safe in your Apache.

Chicago flights up and down the concourse were delayed due to weather (not my concern), Denver was delayed due to it having to turn around earlier in its schedule due to a medical emergency, Washington had an engine that wouldn’t start, and San Francisco couldn’t find a gate to park at. Ok so clearly a slightly chaotic scene. Now picture 2 gate agents who already think quitting is preferential to working for an airline with no pension as explained to other passengers prior to this current drama (of course begs the question why they have not yet quit). They helped an average of 2-3 passengers per hour. The line continued to grow with planes leaving with people still waiting in line. At one point a plane landed and waited at the gate for almost 25 minutes before gate agent looked behind the counter through the window, saw the plane and decided to move the jetway to allow passengers off. I am in a state of disbelief at this point, and yet no one is angry upset or irate (chalk one up to the catatonic state of Texans).

We finally board my flight a mere hour late but that is ok as I am flying home! I get on and decide to maybe watch a movie on my laptop, oops no battery left anymore. Fair enough I should read anyway. Given this is now 9pm a reading light will be a necessity. Reach up over the shoulder and chest of the poor guy in the middle seat, and yup, you guessed it the reading light is burned out. The gentleman in the middle seat who had a working light graciously offered his seat to swap (exit row window, I equally graciously declined). Digging into my bag of schtuff at my feet, popped out my handy flashlight (Dad you laughed but who is laughing now!) and proceeded to read my book by flashlight for the next two hours. Memories of reading under my covers by flashlight as a child flashing through my mind the entire time. At long last we arrive home and by midnight I am as snug as a bug (hopefully not with any) in my bed. This of course lasts all of 5 hours before I begin yet another day bright and early, with CA traffic and sub-100 degree weather. Man its good to be home!

A quick shout-out to my sister who had her birthday yesterday (anyone want to sing with me?). She is off saving the world in Egypt celebrating her 29th birthday with friends and good ice cream (hopefully). Way to go sis, you made it through another year!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nathan Pedretti said...

Happy Birthday, Lindsay!

Glad to hear you got back safely, MDS. Keep posting so we hear your wild stories of live on the road.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks guys! no ice cream, but really good chocolate cake!

loved the flashlight story, matthew - good to see that there is some consistency in the universe.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog I hope we can work to build a better health care system as we are in a major crisis and health insurance is a major aspect to many.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home