Saturday, July 16, 2005

Chapter six

The clock struck 11:30 and every nerve stood on end, the electricity was in the air. Over a thousand people milling around, munching on donuts, looking for the shortest line, but an excitement pervaded over the entire crowd. The minutes ticked by slower and slower as the hour of the morning approached. The awaited time seems to never arrive and yet with a whisper more than a roar the register rings. Just that simple beep evokes applause to break out from over a thousand people. The latest Harry Potter installment has just sold its first issue, it was impossible to not be caught up in the current of excitement that is flowing through the crowd. I am 507 in line waiting my precious copy of nothing more than paper and ink, and yet I would wait for hours for a chance to read these scribbles on paper. Kids are falling asleep in the aisles as they wait in line for their turn to get their issue. Many of the kids and a surprising number of the adults dressed up as their favorite character. There was energy in the air as more and more customers successfully obtained their copy of the book. I was finally awarded the opportunity to buy my copy at 2:07am. Keep in mind coming from Chicago that very same day it felt like 4:07am, but no complaints I had my copy of the book. However this now opens the new fear, as I began to read this morning and I am loving the book, I do not want anyone to give away any aspect of the storyline before I finish. So thus begins the time I no longer talk to anyone who has read it, read any articles that even hint of Harry Potter not walk near conversations. I will say this the first 200 pages are great!

Coming back from Chicago I just had to laugh at some of my fellow passengers as the baggage claim. I was surrounded by 7 or 8 people from different families all struggling to remember what their suitcase looks like. They each took turns complaining that all suitcases look alike (who told you to buy a black bag in the first place) and they should change that someday. I was overcome by mirth of my fellow passengers angst as each new bag had to be inspected by numerous people to ensure it was not actually one of theirs. It would be thrown back on the belt only to have its inspection location taken by yet another. Let this be advice to all others, buy pink bags.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home