Monday, July 18, 2005

Remorse

A warning to my readers, although I will not be revealing any specific plot twists or revelations in any way, the general emotions expressed in this entry may reveal some background to the latest Harry Potter book that avid fans not having completed the final chapter might want to hold off for the time being.

That being said this latest installment definitely moves the Harry Potter series definitively away from a strictly children’s series into an mature adult content with complex sub-plots and emotions. Reading the book like a starved man dying for just a taste of words, I finished in upon landing in Victoria, British Colombia, Canada. I find myself in a state of melancholy after the completion of the book, for it was both satisfying but enormously emotional. We begin to see these characters as real people and to have things happen both physically and emotionally takes a toll on our own emotions. I long with a yearning seldom felt for the next book, knowing it might be two years away and if tragedy were to strike, never. Is this akin to how Star Wars fans felt as each new installment was revealed to tell just a tantalizing bit more of the tale? I love the story and the characters, but the mantras and the underlying theme of love, childish delight, curiosity, and adventure is certainly where the prize lies. So to all those who have not yet picked up the books of Harry Potter may I certainly recommend them, they will do more for your inner child than all the GI Joe and Barbie ever could.

As I alluded to I have returned not as a conquering warrior but by a neophyte in life to Victoria. The last and only other time I was here was four years ago accompanied by my first long term girlfriend who I had been dating in college. She lived in Seattle and when visiting her we took a day trip up here to Victoria by Hydrofoil. Although the relationship is no longer (and I wish her well in med school) I have returned a little wiser and quite a bit older and experienced in the ways of the world. I am staying at the famous Empress Hotel built in 1908 for British royalty when they needed to get a while from the stresses of London for a little while. A location made famous by still serving high tea just as they have for almost 100 years to a select few who make prompt reservations and dress in a manner according to the hotels prestige and lineage. Imagine Cape Cod with the friendship (and relaxed pace) that only Canada clearly posses. A fellow air passenger missed his connecting flight in Vancouver where I transferred, he arrives at the counter with moisture along his forehead and along his back, and yet quite calm. The desk agent already had a replacement ticket prepared for the very next flight, they exchanged pleasantries and the passenger retreated to a seat where he relaxed and purchased himself a latte. No arguments, no swearing, just understanding and an ability to move on. Quite impressive. More on this later, as for now I need to get in a quick jaunt to the gym.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home