Wednesday, March 09, 2005

A bad day gone awry

Well the flu just does not know when to quit, but since life must go on I kept to my appointments most notably with the dentist. Now everyone knows when you are sick, you really don’t feel like ‘chatting’ up a storm, most of the time it is closer to, ‘I am grumpy, leave me alone’.

So I go to the dentist and I get Ms. Happy Efficiency as my oral Hygienist. She just wants to know everything about me as she pokes and prods around my mouth. At one point one of the pokes or prods is unusually strong into the gum and I wince. She looks at me with that sweet smile and asks if that experience was too intense? That now rings against every manhood gene in me to say, of course not. It is only too intense when you take sharp pointy objects and jab them into my soft tissue. Shesh. It keeps going. She knows I have been sick so she asks if I have a wife or a girl friend to take care of me. Of course I answer in the negative. She looks at me with a pitiful look and says, ‘that is so sad’. Great as if I didn’t feel bad enough. She continues to nick and needle around my mouth until finally she seems satisfied. She asks one final question, do your teeth hurt normally? My simple response, not until I came into the dentist.

But then it gets better. Last time I had a cleaning they identifies two cavities that would have to be filled. Well this was my time to do it. The doctor is all business starting to talk, while the nurse start dressing me in my adult bib and a huge rubber cork in my mouth. The doctor takes a quick look at the x-ray and pronounces that these are very small cavities and I probably don’t need Novocain. Do I? Well probably not. But if I do just let him know, ehhh? But not a problem, it will be quick in quick out. He keeps this stream of statements and I with this rubber cork in my mouth could not respond to a single one, even if I wanted to. So they drill both cavities without drugs. Ladies I have one thing to say, Natural anything is so not worth it. I limp out of the doctor’s office with a bill in one hand and the fond farewells of the cute receptionist who bids me out into the world with the promise, we will see you again in 6 short months. Not if I see you coming.

What a day, what a day. Is it really only Wednesday? I mean do I really have two full days to go before it is the blissful weekend? I don’t know if I can make it that long. Well tomorrow should be easier, maybe break a bone or something, anything would be easier than today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may have had a bad day, but you certainly gave me a laugh for today. Between you and me, I would give up showers and be a stinky mess as well as get false teeth to do away with the dentists.
Your life will be much easeier, dirtier, but easier.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home