Friday, April 22, 2005

Steady course

I was talking to a good friend of mine yesterday who is going through a rough time as her life is facing a cross road. The hardest part is when one’s heart and mind tell you one thing, but your feelings tell you another. You want to do something but you are fearful of hurting someone else, even though it might be better in the long run. The old phrase of ‘to thy own self be true’, but isn’t that kind of selfish? We can not go through life just thinking only about how we feel in a vacuum. For instance if I enjoyed wearing a tiny thong and nothing else, does not mean anyone else in the world would want to see that. Ok bad analogy but I bet it keeps you up at night picturing that.

What I am trying to explore though is at what point do you think of yourself first and then a loved one as compared to the reverse? Plenty of couples are faced with this when one person is offered a job in a different city. Someone needs to make a sacrifice, the only question is who. Having never been married, I find myself grossly inadequate to even speak of this issue. But with limited knowledge I have talking to others or even in a coupe of relationships, I have come up with this. If one person is genuinely not happy, not just grumpy but in their heart unhappy, then something needs to change. It is no different than if you absolutely hate your job, if there is no joy, there is no desire to go home and that is just not a healthy way to continue. Can situations change? Absolutely, there are times when one side or another just does not realize what they are doing, and they can make a decision to change for the better. When that happens you can see some of the strongest relationships come forth. At other times, well a different outcome occurs.

I guess I end this with, listen to your inner voice, Jimmy Cricket knows what he is talking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home