Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Another day, another plane, another city

Traveling really does take away any concept of free time away you. All the time I thought I had to update this blog has floated away like bread crumbs in a river, or maybe closer over a waterfall.

So within 36 hours of arriving home from a great family vacation, I was on yet another plane to Orlando FL for another work event. To give you an idea some of the type of speakers I see at these shows, well got my first Star Trek analogy in one of the presentations yesterday. Comparing Microsoft and Java to Klingons and Federation. Oye! But I am in a beautiful Orlando resort location and have yet to enjoy the 5 hot tubs, and the massive pool they have, but I plan on it, rest assured, I plan on it.

Want to back up to family vacation for just a second. This was our 21st year that our immediate family has gone on a family vacation together. Not all four of us have gone every year, there are times when one member or another can’t attend due to life, that is the rarity. Typically it is all four. Our interactions have changed from when I was 5 and my sister 8, to now when I am 25 and she is 28, but still we not only put up with each other but even share a laugh or two. I very much count our family lucky that even after 21 years we still enjoy traveling together which many people can attest to can be a stressful situation especially with lack of sleep and close quarters. Which leads to my next point.

I am a planner, I know that. I like it when I have a rough plan on what I am going to be doing for the next day, next week and so forth. Things change and modifications need to be made, and I am cool with that, but I tend to like having a small plan. Flying stand-by (which is what we do since my mother works for one of the major airlines) is an entirely different world. This is a situation when not only do you not know when you might arrive at a location, you might be flying to an entirely different city if the flights look better. Well these two paradigms are in complete polar opposites. As when two molecules collide the explosion can be a wonder to see, so can it sometimes be when a planner travels standby. The mental anguish of flying standby starts with the hope that the flight looks wide open, so shouldn’t be a problem, so lets arrange someone to meet me and pick me up. 30 minutes later, they have weight restrictions (too much cargo) so it might be tight. 15 minutes later, well looks like there is no room, so we will have to wait 4 hours until the next flight. 10 minutes later, might be one or two seats, hold tight. 5 minutes later, nope no seats we are about to close the door. 5 minutes later, oops we have two seats, which of the three of you want to go. And you wonder how my family has developed a nervous tick. Well this is a challenge to me who traveled 130,000 miles last year on paid tickets where not only do I know exactly where I am flying and when, but I am in the first group to get on the plane. To any and all who might have felt my frustration in this process in any manner, I apologize. It is a challenge for me, I know that.

Until my next update, enjoy your day where ever you are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Ok but how about the real details. Who flew with you and who got left behind? Sure the plane was really full, but how was getting into and out of Rome with all the pilgrims in town? Turns out all roads really do lead to Rome.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home