Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Get a life, give a life

Another day another adventure. Due to an error in our travel system I was placed in a Hilton clear across town from the convention center. Although ok for a day, it was certainly unacceptable for the event days. So 2 trains and a bus later we arrive at the new Hilton. Alas they have somehow lost my reservation and took almost 30 minutes to achieve the simple act of checking in. But no worries its not like I was in a rush to get to the convention or anything, but yet I was in a rush. So popped on a quick ferry, then two more trains and finally reached my destination. I will not bore you with the details of a work convention with lots of speakers, boring exhibitors, and lots of stiffs. A majority of the attendees were from the financial market place and know how to dress. If I wanted to fit in, I wasn’t even close. Not only did I not have a suit, I didn’t even have a long sleeve button down let alone a tie. What can I say CA living has rubbed off on me just a bit. I was the only person with 10 miles without a tie, figures. Its ok, I don’t need to wow them with my dress, although every little bit helps.

By the end of the day I was both exhausted, hungry and warm. Jumped on the train and headed my way home. I was just transferring trains, unsure of which train I needed so searched for a map to check. What I found was three men carrying a fourth off the train. No this was not a mob hit or some other form of punishment rather it was three attendants carrying out a man having a heart attack, or more directly chest pains. So I jumped in and offered to assist as an American medic. Now in the lingo it is enough to say that this individual was circling the drain. He rapidly lost consciousness and soon I was able to get the fun of doing a painful stimuli test. This is when you actually get to hurt someone to see if they are faking or not. Most people are faking and trying to get more attention. Did a neck pinch. Nothing. Did a sternum rub. Nothing. Oh shit comes to mind. Now I know one of my readers would think this is so much fun, but then you look around for supplies and all you have is a couple of jackets and your own hands. Not much you can do at this point. Finally a single medic comes with the most basic of supplies. Turns out here in London initial medics arrive on a motorcycle to get through traffic quickly with some supplies, followed hopefully soon by an ambulance. Interestingly enough they do not have nearly the permissions to do in the field what we can in CA, and in other ways they have so much more freedom. Fear not the bloke was ok, and I was given the best directions to get home any man has ever received. I have never seen such thankful people, all we do is help each other, just another day right? Somehow missing the tie didn’t seem so important.

Now I am just high on life, but another surprise awaits me. I am going to Les Meserables tonight. Now I have heard the music for virtually my entire life, a couple of decades. I have enjoyed the music, but nothing compares to seeing the show. Is it not remarkable how a show can evoke emotions, even on the side of a busy London street you can feel as if you are in France during the French revolution. We step out of the theater and see the phone booths that have been around for generations. The taxi cabs whose style have not changed for the same length of time save for the motor and the posters on the side encouraging the Olympics in 2012. I highly recommend the show for all who have not seen it.

So now I am in another city that never sleeps too tired to go out, but maybe tomorrow. As for now I need to do another hundred emails and get some sleep.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Hey, glad the guy with chest pains was alright. Good job !

Saw Les Mis a long time ago, still remember what a beautiful work of art it was.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home