Friday, March 18, 2005

Sorrow and Happiness

I fully expected to write an entry about the excitement and adventures in downtown London, and perhaps very soon I will. But first a different type of entry, not one filled with true tales of observation and actions, but rather one of reflection and thought. You see I just watched Finding Neverland, and never has a truer movie been made. For I do not want to give away any of the experience for others who have not seen it, I will not share its secrets on this page, however I will expound on what it means to me. I am sitting in my aisle seat in the middle of a wide body jet flying over Iceland and my eyes refuse to dry. There is a wetness not cause by eye drops or from coughing so hard it forms moisture in the eyes, no it is from emotion that has welled up so deep I can not push it down.

For all the years I can remember I love to dream, if I am asleep or awake I dream of what could happen, what may happen, what might happen. It is neither practical nor a proper use of time, and yet it keeps the soul light and with a sense of wonderment. I see a train ride or a plane ride, and do not see an underground tube with people reading the paper, I can’t help but think what would happen if at that very moment 5 people break out into song and the entire train joins in. Or what would happen if we were stuck between two stations for hours on end and we had to entertain each other with stories from childhood. Now this may not sound like an imagination equally to that of Dr. Seuss or other great men and women, but it is still an imagination. One that is strong enough to fill countless pages in journals that will continue to flow for years.

At Disney theme parks you can watch children filled with wonder and dreams. For at that time they are a princess, a prince, an adventurer, a pirate or anything else they want to be. Somehow when we become adults we forget that ability and we only see a silly hat and a plastic sword. Can you think of anything sadder than that? Nothing is more wonderful than traveling to a theme park and letting the children whisk you away in their own imagination, all you need is a little of your own to join them.

So I have a charge to all of you. Next time you are alone in your bed, either your own comfortable bed, or that strange sterile smelling bed in a hotel room, take a few minutes while you lay in the dark. Think of some great adventure that will happen tomorrow. During a boring meeting, an arduous commute in a car or train, or maybe as simply while walking the hallways in another yet indistinct office building. The imagination, once lost is so hard to find, and we must not lost it. Once lost it destroys our ability to dream, and that is where new ideas, new thought, and the basis for all the positive emotion enters from.

I look so silly sitting here in a my seat in 20G, wiping my eyes with my shirt sleeves as the movie credits roll before my eyes, and yet I look outwards at the clouds and I am flying. Not in a metal sardine can, no I am flying through the mind of a writer, a director, a host of actors, and a plethora of others. It is an exciting time, come join me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home