Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The Fear of a new job

One of the greatest fears besides not having a job is starting a new one. The great part though is that this fear is what drives us to excel and grow. What fear would I be referring to? No it is not the concern of being lost attempting to find the bathroom (very much not a problem for my new location, I am located 4ft from the entrance). It is not the concern of having to find a new personal parking space. It is honestly thinking you are not sure how to do the job you have been hired to do. When you sit in meetings and listen to the conversation or talk with co-workers and it feels like every word is going right over your head. The good news is that there has not been a single job in my life, besides maybe working at a fast food restaurant or mowing lawns, where this was not felt. This is what inspires us to stretch ourselves and grow. So yes I started my new job on Monday and like any group that is overworked and understaffed, had a steady stream of requests and work flowing my way. This is more exciting than not as for the past 9+ months my mind has atrophied with lack of work and challenge. So to the new job and the struggle for survival for the first few months, THREE CHEERS!


I would also like to help anyone who has not watched the news for the past week or so. Yes sunny warm CA has been inundated with more precipitation in the past three weeks than all of last year, getting close to two years. Yes it has rained every day since before Christmas. Midwest people don’t feel too smug, it still hasn’t snowed along the coast.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah my young friend - get used to it. The feeling never goes away. Every new "real job" I have ever had has been that way. At least you are at a place where you know the acrynoym soup already and have an idea of who the suits are in the hall.
It all comes down to the fact we don't like change. We like things the way ^we like them^ - in the little worlds we have created. I have known you for almost five years now and I know there is nothing you can not do if you set your mind to it.
So, the first week you will be a bit out of place. I bet you will start optimizing and re-organizing things - a little bit at a time. You will learn. Within a month you will be running the place - or be able to convince people you should.
Don't dwell in the past but, remember what you have done. You built a carrer in a technology that did not exist until the year you started in the field. You built a showplace - from nothing with no money. You built a vehicle. You are very capible and will do just fine.
Yes, the second week you will say, "Oh God! What have I done. I don't belong here." what you don't know is that your boss will be saying, "Hey, the new kid is doing great!"
It's all about your attitude.
When I was young (yes, I once was young) I had a neighbor - a ski pro - who would occasionally teach my sister and I. When we would come back from a day out with our Dad, John would say, "So, did you have a good day skiing today?" and I would say, quite proud of myself, "Yes John, I did not fall at all."
John would say, "You missed the point. If you are not falling, you are not learning."

Don't be afraid to fall. It's all part of the process.

Now if I could only hook you up with my neighbor - then you could really push your comfort zone!

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home